When you feel defeated and you’re ready to quit, nothing beats some motivational quotes for athletes by athletes. And who better to quote than Olympians? We thought so. These 10 inspirational sports quotes will remind you to reach for the stars — on the field and in life.
1. You have to believe in yourself when no one else does — that makes you a winner right there.
— Venus Williams
2. He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.
— Muhammad Ali
Read Related: 10 Powerful Moving Forward Quotes
3. I think the way to become the best is to just have fun.
— Shaun White
4. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
— Michael Jordan
5. If you don’t have confidence, you’ll always find a way not to win.
— Carl Lewis
6. Failure I can live with. Not trying is what I can’t handle!
— Sanya Richards-Ross
7. Nothing is impossible. With so many people saying it couldn’t be done, all it takes is an imagination.
— Michael Phelps
8. To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
— Steve Prefontaine
9. Nothing can substitute for just plain hard work.
— Andre Agassi
10. When anyone tells me I can’t do anything, I’m just not listening any more.
— Florence Griffith Joyner