Aaron Melendrez is one of Los Angeles’ most esteemed mixologists. Luckily for those who don’t imbibe he also has some great mocktail recipes. Melendrez prides himself on sourcing local organic ingredients and embracing what is currently in season. His love for the culinary arts was sparked at a young age. As a child he spent a lot time in the kitchen with his grandmother and aunts, learning their techniques and recipes.
Years later a friend introduced him to the art of creating gourmet cocktails, and he knew he had found his calling. Today Melendrez incorporates classic cooking techniques into the art of cocktail making. He also strives to live a balanced life, and spends a great deal of time focusing on personal health and fitness.
We all remember the fruit guy on the corner on the hottest of days of the year. This mocktail pays homage to him. Combining our favorite flavors of summer fruits and Red Bull Yellow Edition with tropical notes, transforms into what is sure to be a Latin favorite.
4 oz Red Bull Yellow Edition
¾ oz Fresh Lime juice
1 oz Spicy Simple Syrup
Lime Wheel for Garnish
For the Spicy Simple Syrup:
1. Bring 1 cup of water to boil
2. Once boiling reduce heat and stir in 1 cup of sugar and 1 habanero pepper until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Taste once every 5 minutes to achieve perfect amount of spice.
4. Steep no longer than 20 minutes.
For the Mocktail:
1. Take two small plates and put spicy simple syrup on one, and Tajin salt on the other plate.
2. Dip rim of a Collins Glass in simple syrup then in Tajin salt to coat rim of glass.
3. In a cocktail shaker add in mango purée, spicy simple syrup, a pinch of salt and 3 ice cubes.
4. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
5. Open cocktail shaker and add in Red Bull Yellow Edition into shaken mix.
6. Pour drink into rimmed glass.
7. Top with crushed ice and garnish with a lime wheel.
What if we told you the Mojito and the Pina Colada had a love child, and he gave you energy to dance all night long? This refreshing mocktail made with Red Bull Blue Edition is destined to be the queen of the dance floor!
5 oz Red Bull Blue Edition
1 ½ oz Coconut Purée (Perfect Purée) or Canned Coconut Milk
1 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
1 oz Purified Water
¾ oz Simple syrup (1:1 Sugar to Water Ratio)
8 Mint Leaves
Mint sprig and lemon wheel for garnish
1. In a cocktail shaker combine coconut puree/milk, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, purified water, 3-4 small ice cubes and 8 mint leaves and a very small pinch of salt.
2. Shake vigorously for 45-60 seconds to achieve frothy texture to mix.
3. Add in Red Bull Blue Edition into the cocktail shaker with the rest of the shaken mix.
4. Strain into a Collins Glass.
5. Top with ice and garnish with a mint sprig and lemon wheel.
Recipes courtesy Aaron Melendrez. For more mocktail recipes visit Red Bull.